Homemade pasta sauce has never been easier or more delicious! Make your own sauce by only adding tomatoes to Ball® Italian-Style Pasta Sauce Mix! With this flex batch bottle, make scalable recipes – from 1 to 11 pints per batch. This recipe makes 2 pints.
For every 2 pints of pasta sauce:
4 lbs fresh tomatoes (about 12 medium)
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes + 1/2 cup water
1/3 cup Ball® Italian-Style Pasta Sauce Mix - MIX WELL BEFORE MEASURING
2 Ball® Pint (16 oz) Fresh Preserving Jars with lids and bands
Prepare Pasta Sauce
1. WASH tomatoes. Peel skins, remove cores and puree in food processor until smooth consistency.
2. COMBINE puree and mix in large saucepan. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, or until the consistency of a commercial pasta sauce.
3. ENJOY using 1 of the 3 ways listed below.
ENJOY NOW! (Refrigerate up to 1 week)
FREEZE (Up to one year):
1. COOL to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
2. LADLE sauce into jars. Label
3. FREEZE sauce for up to 1 year.
FRESH PRESERVE (Store up to one year):
1. PREPARE canner, jars, lids, and bands according to manufacturer’s instructions.
2. LADLE hot sauce into hot jars leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars. Apply bands and adjust to fingertip tight.
3. PROCESS in boiling water canner for 65 minutes, adjusting for altitude.*
RECIPE VARIATION: For Basil-Garlic Pasta Sauce, add 1Tbsp finely minced, fresh basil and 2 cloves garlic, minced to saucepan before cooking.
QUICK TIP: To peel tomatoes, make an “X” on the bottom of tomatoes using a knife. Plunge in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds, or until skins start to crack. Dip into cold water and slip off skins.
*Increase processing time: 5 minutes for 1,001 to 3, 000 ft; 10 minutes for 3,001 to 6,000 ft; 15 minutes for 6,001 to 8,000 ft; 20 minutes for 8,001 to 10,000 ft.