Carrot Cake JamMakes about 6 (8 oz) half pints
Sweetened with crushed pineapple and spices, this sunny fall jam tastes just like carrot cake. It makes a perfect gift for any occasion.
Rating: 5 Reviews|
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- 1-1/2 cups finely grated peeled carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped cored peeled pears
- 1-3/4 cups chopped pineapple, including juice
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 6 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit™ Classic Pectin
- 6-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- COMBINE carrots, pears, pineapple with juice, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and whisk in pectin until dissolved. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring frequently.
- ADD sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- LADLE hot carrot cake jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.