Dill Pickle RecipeMakes about 6 (16 oz) pints
Let the dill add the flavor while you reduce the salt with this crispy pickle classic.
Rating: 2 Reviews|
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water
until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set
- WASH cucumbers. Drain. Cut cucumbers into 1/4-inch thick slices, discarding ends.
- COMBINE sugar, salt and vinegar in a large saucepan. Tie spices in a spice bag and add to vinegar mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Keep hot until ready for use. Remove spice bag.
- PACK cucumbers into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Place one head of dill in each jar.
- LADLE hot liquid over cucumbers leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check for seal after 24 hours. Lids should not flex up and down when center is pressed.