Green Tomato Salsa VerdeMakes about 6 (8 oz) half pints or 3 (16 oz) pints
This spicy green tomato salsa certainly isn't a traditional salsa verde, which is usually made with tomatillos, but we think it's every bit as delicious. Enjoy it with grilled meats and fish or straight from the jar as a dip for tortilla chips.
Rating: 22 Reviews|
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- 7 cups chopped cored peeled green tomatoes (about 12 medium)
- 5 to 10 jalapeno, Habañero or Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped red onion (about 2 large)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup loosely packed finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water
until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set
- COMBINE tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic and lime juice in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- LADLE hot salsa into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Green Tomato Salsa Verde you made?
Share with others!