Homemade Vegetable SoupMakes about 7 (32 oz) quarts
Take the best of your garden or the farmer's market to make this tasty vegetable soup, preserved in your pressure canner it's makes a great pantry staple
NOTE: You must process at least 2 quarts or 4 pints in the same pressure canner at one time to ensure proper pressure and temperatures are reached for safe preserving.
Level of Ease:Advanced
Preserving Method:Pressure Canning
You Will Need:
- 8 cups chopped, peeled, cored tomatoes (about 4 lb or 12 medium)
- 6 cups cubed and peeled potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 6 cups 3/4-inch sliced carrots (about 12 medium)
- 4 cups green lima beans (about 1-1/2 lb)
- 4 cups uncooked corn kernels (about 9 ears)
- 2 cups 1-inch sliced celery (about 4 stalks)
- 2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
- 6 cups water
- Salt, optional
- Pepper, optional
- 7 Ball® (32 oz) quart or 14 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE pressure canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- COMBINE all vegetables in a large saucepot. Add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- LADLE hot soup into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar on rack in pressure canner containing 2 inches of simmering water. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- 2. PLACE lid on canner and turn to locked position. Adjust heat to medium-high. Vent steam for 10 minutes. Place counter weight or pressure regulator on vent; bring pressure to 10 pounds (psi) for a weighted- gauge canner or 11 pounds (psi) for a dial-gauge canner.
- PROCESS pint jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 55 minutes and quart jars 1 hour and 25 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; cool canner to zero pressure. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Homemade Vegetable Soup you made?
Share with others!