Hot Pepper MixMakes about 5 (32 oz) quarts
This combination of green tomatoes and hot peppers makes an excellent salsa-style sauce that is particulary delicious with grilled chicken. Drain the liquid from the jar and chop the vegetables coarsely in a food processor. Use to generously garnish the top of the chicken and serve lime wedges alongside.
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- 1/4 cup Ball® Mixed Pickling Spice
- 2 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 7 lb green tomatoes, cored and cut into eighths (about 21 medium)
- 4 cups sliced seeded Hungarian or red bell peppers (about 4 large)
- 4 cups sliced seeded hot yellow banana peppers (about 4 large)
- 4 cups sliced seeded Anaheim, poblano or fresh New Mexico peppers (about 4 large)
- 2 cups pickling or pearl onions, peeled (about 25 small)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp Ball® Salt for Pickling & Preserving
- 8 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 Ball® (32 oz) quart glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not
boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- TIE pickling spice and mustard seeds in a square of cheesecloth creating a spice bag. Set aside.
- COMBINE tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic and salt in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- COMBINE vinegar, water and sugar in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add reserved spice bag, reduce heat and boil gently for 10 minutes, until spices have infused the liquid. Add vegetables and boil gently for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are heated through and slightly tender. Remove from heat. Discard spice bag.
- PACK hot vegetables into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Ladle hot pickling liquid into jar to cover vegetables leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot pickling liquid. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Hot Pepper Mix you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo