Italian-Style Pasta SauceMakes about 2 pints
Level of Ease:Easy
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:For every 2 pints of pasta sauce:
- 4 lbs fresh tomatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes + 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup Ball® Italian-Style Pasta Sauce Mix - MIX WELL BEFORE MEASURING
- 2 Ball® Pint (16 oz) Fresh Preserving Jars with lids and bands
Use our recipe calculator chart to customize the number of jars from 1-11
Directions:Prepare Pasta Sauce
- WASH tomatoes. Peel skins, remove cores and puree in food processor until smooth consistency.
- COMBINE puree and mix in large saucepan. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, or until the consistency of a commercial pasta sauce.
- ENJOY using 1 of the 3 ways listed below.
QUICK TIP: To peel tomatoes, make an “X” on the bottom of tomatoes using a knife. Plunge in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds, or until skins start to crack. Dip into cold water and slip off skins. *Increase processing time: 5 minutes for 1,001 to 3, 000 ft; 10 minutes for 3,001 to 6,000 ft; 15 minutes for 6,001 to 8,000 ft; 20 minutes for 8,001 to 10,000 ft.
ENJOY NOW! (Refrigerate up to 1 week)
FREEZE (Up to one year):
- COOL to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- LADLE sauce into jars. Label
FREEZE sauce for up to 1 year.
FRESH PRESERVE (Store up to one year)
- PREPARE canner, jars, lids, and bands according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- LADLE hot sauce into hot jars leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars. Apply bands and adjust to fingertip tight.
- PROCESS in boiling water canner for 65 minutes, adjusting for altitude.*
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Italian-Style Pasta Sauce you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo