Pear Jelly Recipe - Low SugarMakes about 3 to 5 (8 oz) half pints
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- 4 cups prepared pear juice (about 12 medium)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit™ Low or No-Sugar Needed Pectin
- 1/2 tsp. butter or margarine, optional
- Up to 3 cups sugar, 1-1/2 cups SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular, 3/4 to 1 cup honey, or desired amount of other artificial sweeteners (optional)
- 3 to 5 Ball® (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE pears by coring and finely chopping them. Add 3 cups water. Simmer 10 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally. Place prepared pears in dampened jelly bag or several layers of dampened cheesecloth. Let juice drip, undisturbed, for at least 2 hours or overnight. Note: Squeezing the jelly bag may cause jelly to be cloudy.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not
boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- MEASURE juice and other ingredients. If you need more juice, simply add water to fruit pulp and extract.
- COMBINE prepared pear juice with lemon juice in a 6-or 8-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Add up to 1/2 tsp butter or margarine to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- ADD artificial sweeteners (other than SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular) as desired, if using. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- OR -
- ADD sugar, SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular, or honey according to the specified amounts listed above. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- LADLE hot jelly into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Pear Jelly Recipe - Low Sugar you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo