Piccalilli RelishMakes about 6 to 7 (8 oz) half pints
This combination of green tomatoes and hot peppers makes an excellent salsa-style sauce that is particularly delicious with grilled chicken. Drain the liquid from the jar and chop the vegetables coarsely in a food processor. Use to generously garnish the top of the chicken and serve lime wedges alongside.
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- 5 cups finely chopped cabbage (about 1-1/2 med heads)
- 4 cups chopped cored green tomatoes, unpeeled (about 8 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped seeded red bell pepper (about 1 large)
- 1 cup chopped seeded green bell pepper (about 1 large)
- 3 Tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup pickling spice
- 4 Tbsp coarsely chopped gingerroot
- 2 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 6 to 7 Ball® (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- COMBINE cabbage, green tomatoes, onions, red and green peppers and salt in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover and let stand in a cool place for 12 hours or overnight. Transfer to a colander placed over a sink and drain. Rinse with cool water and drain thoroughly. Using your hands, squeeze out excess liquid. Set aside.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside
- TIE pickling spice, gingerroot and mustard seeds in a square of cheesecloth creating a spice bag.
- COMBINE drained cabbage mixture, vinegar, water, sugar, turmeric and spice bag in a large stainless steel saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Uncover and boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, for 1 hour, until thickened to the consistency of a thin commercial relish, about 20 minutes. Discard spice bag.
- LADLE hot relish into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot relish. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.