Bread and Butter Pickles
Level of Ease:Easy
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- For every 2 quarts of pickles:
- 3 1/2 lbs pickling cucumbers (about 14 small to medium)
- 2 1/2 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup Ball® Bread & Butter Pickle Mix
- 2 Ball® Quart (32 oz) Fresh Preserving jars with lids and bands
Use our recipe calculator chart to customize the number of jars from 2-13
Directions:Prepare Bread & Butter Pickles
- CUT ends off cucumbers. Cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- COMBINE vinegar, sugar, and Ball® Bread & Butter Pickle Mix in a medium saucepan. Heat to a boil.
- PACK based on ENJOY NOW or FRESH PRESERVE steps below.
- POUR hot pickling liquid over cucumber slices in a large bowl. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- PACK cucumber slices into jars. Ladle pickling liquid over cucumbers. Place lids & bands on jars.
- REFRIGERATE pickles. For best flavor, allow pickles to stand in refrigerator for 3 weeks.
FRESH PRESERVE (Store up to 1 year):
- PREPARE canner, jars, and lids according to manufacturer's instructions.
- PACK slices into hot jars. Ladle hot pickling liquid over slices leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars. Apply bands and adjust to fingertip tight.
- PROCESS in boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude*. For best flavor, allow pickles to stand for 4-6 weeks.
*Increase processing time: 5 minutes for 1,001 to 3, 000 ft; 10 minutes for 3,001 to 6,000 ft; 15 minutes for 6,001 to 8,000 ft; 20 minutes for 8,001 to 10,000 ft.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Bread and Butter Pickles you made?
Share with others!