Spirited BlueberriesMakes about 7 (8 oz) half pints
Fruit with added pizzazz! Alcoholic beverages bring out the full-bodied flavor of fruit without overpowering its natural flavor. These spirited blueberries are useful to have on hand as a no-fuss solution to brighten up any occasion.
Level of Ease:Easy
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- 12 cups blueberries, washed and drained (about 6 pints)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp rum, brandy or vodka or 1-1/2 tsp Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur per jar
- 7 Ball® (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water
until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set
- COMBINE sugar and water in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add blueberries, stirring constantly, and return to a boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes.
- PACK hot blueberries into hot jars, using a slotted spoon, leaving 1/2 inch headsapce. Add the rum or spirit of your choice. Ladle hot syrup into hot jars to cover blueberries leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Spirited Blueberries you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo