Sweet Yellow Tomato ChutneyMakes about 6 to 7 (8 oz) half pints
Compared to traditional red tomatoes, yellow tomatoes have a milder, sweeter and slightly fruity flavor. This colorful chutney uses the special characteristics of yellow tomatoes to create a sweet-and-sour flavor that goes particularly well with grilled fish.
Rating: 2 Reviews|
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 9 cups chopped cored peeled tart green apples (about 9 medium)
- 12 cups chopped cored peeled yellow tomatoes (about 12 medium)
- 3 cups golden raisins
- 2-1/2 cups chopped onions (about 3 to 4 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 3 chili peppers, such as jalapeño or hot banana (yellow wax), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped gingerroot
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 to 7 Ball® (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- MEASURE vinegar into a large stainless steel saucepan. To prevent the apples from browning, drop them into the vinegar as they are being chopped, stirring to ensure all surfaces are covered.
- ADD tomatoes, raisins, onions, granulated sugar, brown sugar, chili peppers, garlic, mustard seeds, gingerroot, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until the chutney is thick enough to mound on a spoon, about 1 hour.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water
until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set
- LADLE hot chutney into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Sweet Yellow Tomato Chutney you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo