Sweet Yellow Tomato ChutneyMakes about 6 to 7 (8 oz) half pints
Compared to traditional red tomatoes, yellow tomatoes have a milder, sweeter and slightly fruity flavor. This colorful chutney uses the special characteristics of yellow tomatoes to create a sweet-and-sour flavor that goes particularly well with grilled fish.
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 9 cups chopped cored peeled tart green apples (about 9 medium)
- 12 cups chopped cored peeled yellow tomatoes (about 12 medium)
- 3 cups golden raisins
- 2-1/2 cups chopped onions (about 3 to 4 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 3 chili peppers, such as jalapeño or hot banana (yellow wax), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped gingerroot
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 to 7 Ball® (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- MEASURE vinegar into a large stainless steel saucepan. To prevent the apples from browning, drop them into the vinegar as they are being chopped, stirring to ensure all surfaces are covered.
- ADD tomatoes, raisins, onions, granulated sugar, brown sugar, chili peppers, garlic, mustard seeds, gingerroot, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until the chutney is thick enough to mound on a spoon, about 1 hour.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water
until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set
- LADLE hot chutney into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- PROCESS jars for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove lid and let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Sweet Yellow Tomato Chutney you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo