Three Bean Salad RecipeMakes about 5 to 6 (16 oz) pints
In some circles, it is practically a tradition to have three-bean salad as part of a picnic spread. This staple has a robust flavor that is unique. Having some on hand allows for easy preparation for any party!
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- 4-1/2 cups sliced trimmed green beans (about 1-1/2 lbs)
- 4-1/2 cups sliced trimmed yellow wax beans (about 1-1/2 lbs)
- 1 lb Lima beans, shelled
- 2 cups sliced celery (about 4 stalks)
- 1-2/3 cups sliced onions (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup diced seeded red bell pepper (about 1 large)
- Boiling water
- 2-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 4 tsp pickling or canning salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 5 to 6 Ball® (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not
boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- COMBINE green and yellow beans, lima beans, celery, onions and red pepper in a large stainless steel saucepan. Add boiling water to cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes, until vegetables are heated through.
- COMBINE sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, salt, vinegar and water in a separate stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes, until spices have infused the liquid.
- DRAIN hot vegetables and pack into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Ladle hot pickling liquid into jar to cover vegetables leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot pickling liquid. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Three Bean Salad Recipe you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo