Tomato Apple ChutneyMakes about 6 (8 oz) half pints
Serve this tasty chutney warmed over baked Brie for an appealing appetizer. Allow a plentiful supply of crackers and apple slices for spreading the Brie.
Rating: 2 Reviews|
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups chopped cored peeled apples (about 2 medium)
- 5 cups chopped cored peeled tomatoes (about 7 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped English cucumber (about 1 medium)
- 3/4 cup chopped onions (about 1 small)
- 3/4 cup chopped seeded red bell peppers (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp finely chopped garlic (about 1/2 clove)
- 1-1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 Ball® (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water
until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set
- COMBINE vinegar and apples in a large saucepan. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- LADLE hot chutney into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Tomato Apple Chutney you made?
Share with others!