Zesty Zucchini RelishMakes about 5 (16 oz) pints
Horseradish and hot peppers give this relish its zest. It's a great way to use up extra zucchini from the garden, and it makes a great accompaniment to bratwursts hot off the grill.
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- 12 cups finely chopped zucchini (about 12 medium)
- 4 cups chopped onions (about 3 medium)
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup Ball® Salt for Pickling & Preserving
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp ground turmeric
- 4 Tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 chili pepper; including seeds, chopped
- 5 Ball® (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- COMBINE zucchini, onions, red and green peppers and salt in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover and let stand in a cool place (70 to 75°F) for 12 hours or overnight.
- TRANSFER to a colander placed over a sink and drain. Rinse with cool water and drain thoroughly. Using your hands, squeeze out excess liquid.
- COMBINE zucchini mixture, sugar, vinegar, nutmeg, turmeric, horseradish and chili pepper in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until liquid is reduced and mixture is the consistency of a think commercial relish, about 45 minutes.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water
until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set
- LADLE hot relish into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot relish. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- PROCESS jars for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove lid and let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Zesty Zucchini Relish you made?
Share with others!