Zesty Zucchini RelishMakes about 5 (16 oz) pints
Horseradish and hot peppers give this relish its zest. It's a great way to use up extra zucchini from the garden, and it makes a great accompaniment to bratwursts hot off the grill.
Rating: 5 Reviews|
Level of Ease:Medium
Preserving Method:Waterbath Canning
You Will Need:
- 12 cups finely chopped zucchini (about 12 medium)
- 4 cups chopped onions (about 3 medium)
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup Ball® Salt for Pickling & Preserving
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp ground turmeric
- 4 Tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 chili pepper; including seeds, chopped
- 5 Ball® (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- COMBINE zucchini, onions, red and green peppers and salt in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover and let stand in a cool place (70 to 75°F) for 12 hours or overnight.
- TRANSFER to a colander placed over a sink and drain. Rinse with cool water and drain thoroughly. Using your hands, squeeze out excess liquid.
- COMBINE zucchini mixture, sugar, vinegar, nutmeg, turmeric, horseradish and chili pepper in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until liquid is reduced and mixture is the consistency of a think commercial relish, about 45 minutes.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water
until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set
- LADLE hot relish into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot relish. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude*. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Zesty Zucchini Relish you made?
Share with others!