Sun-Dried Tomato & Penne Soup Mix
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
This homemade soup mix will wake their appetites and warm their hearts. Put it together now to enjoy year-round.
You Will Need
You Will Need
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut into quarters (about 1 3-oz bag)
- 1/4 cup dried onion flakes
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushroom pieces (about 2 .35-oz bags)
- 1 Tbsp dried minced garlic
- 1-1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1-1/2 tsp dried minced basil
- 1-1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Ball® (32 oz) quart glass preserving jar with lid and band
- White cotton kitchen string
- LAYER pasta, tomatoes, onion, parsley and mushrooms into a quart jar in the order listed, packing each layer evenly as it is added. Adjust cap.
- PLACE remaining ingredients onto the center of a 4- x 4-inch double layer square of cheesecloth, securing with white cotton kitchen string to create a bouquet garni. Set aside.
- CREATE recipe card for preparing Sun-Dried Tomato & Penne Soup (see recipe below). Tie recipe card and bouquet garni around the neck of the jar with ribbon or raffia. Makes base for one recipe of Sun-Dried Tomato & Penne Soup.
Sun-Dried Tomato & Penne Soup
Makes about 8 servings
1 jar Sun-Dried Tomato and Penne Soup Mix
1 cup hot water
8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
1 14-oz can cannelloni beans
- REMOVE mushrooms from jar and soak in hot water for 30 minutes. Remove mushrooms from soaking water, being careful not to disturb the sediment in the bottom of the cup. Rinse mushrooms under cold running water. Drain.
- COMBINE hydrated mushrooms, soup mix, bouquet garni and broth in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until pasta is tender. Add wine, tomatoes and beans. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bouquet garni. Serve warm.