Sweet and Tart Rhubarb
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
The spiced honey sweetened syrup balances the tart flavor of rhubarb making this a real spring pantry treat. Use the syrup for luscious cocktails then spoon the rhubarb over ice cream for a summery dessert.
You Will Need
You Will Need
- 3 lbs Rhubarb stalks, ends trimmed, stalks split in half lengthwise then cut into 3 inch lengths*
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 -1/4 inch slices peeled ginger
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp. allspice berries
- 2 tsp. pink peppercorns
- 2 tsp. black peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- BRING the water, sugar, honey, ginger and orange zest to a simmer over medium heat in a 4 qt. stainless steel or enameled dutch oven.
- PREPARE jars; portion allspice, black peppercorns, pink peppercorns, cloves and sage equally into 4 pint jars.
- FILL a hot jar with 1/4 of the rhubarb spears leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Add one slice of ginger and ladle syrup over rhubarb, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar, apply band and adjust to fingertip-tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- PROCESS jars 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turnoff heat; remove lid and let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
*Count how many 3-inch spears of rhubarb you have, it helps to portion them into jars evenly.