Basil Garlic Tomato Sauce - Auto Canner
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
You Will Need
You Will Need
- 12 to 13 lbs ripe tomatoes (about 40 to 45 medium globe)
- 2/3 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 5-1/3 cloves garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2-1/2 tbsp fresh basil, finely minced
- 1 tsp Ball® brand Citric Acid*, divided*
- 2 tsp salt (optional), divided
- 4 Ball® brand Glass Preserving Jars with Lids and Bands
- Optional: Ball® freshTECH Automatic Home Canning System
*Bottled lemon juice may be used in place of Citric Acid. You will need 4 tbsp bottled lemon juice, divided. Be sure to add Citric Acid or bottled lemon juice to each jar before adding tomatoes.
Note that this recipe will only perform as expected when using the Ball® freshTECH Automatic Home Canning System.
Prepare Your Sauce
- WASH and sort tomatoes, removing any bruised or discolored ones. Remove core and blossom ends. Cut into quarters; set aside.
- SAUTE onion and garlic in olive oil in a large stainless steel saucepan until transparent. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- PUREE tomato mixture in a food processor, food mill or Victorio Strainer, working in batches. Strain puree to remove seeds and peel. Discard skins and seeds.
- COMBINE tomato puree and basil in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until volume is reduced by one-half, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. When you have about 20 minutes left, begin pre-heating your jars.
Pre-Heat Your Empty Jars
- REMOVE Inner Pot from Appliance. Remove Rack; set aside. Fill Inner Pot with warm tap water to fill line. Return Inner Pot to Appliance. Place Rack back into Inner Pot. Place empty jars onto Rack in Inner Pot. Set preserving lids and bands aside in your work space. Close and lock Appliance Lid.
- PRESS Pre-Heat button, then press Start. The red Pre-Heating light will illuminate, and the Appliance will begin pre-heating your jars. Jars will be pre-heated when the green Ready light is flashing. Keep jars in Appliance, with Lid closed and locked, until ready to fill with sauce.
Preserve Your Sauce
- UNLOCK and open Appliance Lid.
- REMOVE one hot jar. Close Lid, but do not lock, to keep remaining jars hot. Add 1/4 tsp Citric Acid per pint or add 1 tbsp bottled lemon juice per pint. Add 1/2 tsp salt per pint, if using. Ladle hot sauce into jar, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe any sauce from rim of the jar. Center new lid on jar. Twist on band until fingertip tight. Return filled jar onto Rack in Inner Pot.
- REPEAT step 2 until all jars are filled with sauce and returned to Inner Pot. Close and lock Lid.
- PRESS Sauces, then press Recipe 3. Press Start to begin preserving.
- THE APPLIANCE will start sensing your recipe, indicated by the orange Sensing light. Then, the preserving phase will begin, indicated by the orange Preserving light. When your appliance beeps and the green Ready light is flashing, your sauce has been successfully preserved! Press Stop. Unlock and open Lid.
- REMOVE jars from Inner Pot using jar lifter and place upright on a towel. Allow to cool, undisturbed, for 12 to 24 hours. Check lids for seal. Label and store.