Preserving method: Water bath canning
Makes about 7 (16 oz) pint Jars
Want the taste of home all year round? Try Ball®’s Apple Pie filling, it’s full of all the fragrant fall flavors. You can use this classic recipe to make old-fashioned apple pie, or as a special treat on top of ice cream!
You will need
- 12 cups sliced, peeled and cored apples*
- 2-3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup ClearJel® cooking starch
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1-1/4 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
*To treat apple slices to prevent browning, apply Ball® Fruit-Fresh® Produce Protector according to the manufacturer's instructions or submerge cut apples in a mixture of 1/4 cup lemon juice and 4 cups water.
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set asie with bands.
- Blanch apple slices, working with 6 cups at a time, in a large pot of boiling water for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm in a covered bow.
- Combine sugar, ClearJel®, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large stainless steel saucepan. Stir in apple juice and cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, and cook until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice, boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Drain apple slices and immediately fold into hot mixture; heat, stirring, until apples are heated through.
- Ladle hot apple pie filling into a hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars for 25 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.