Preserving Method: Non-Preserving
Makes about 5 (16 oz) pint jars
This beautiful refrigerator pickle is easy to put together and makes a tasy BBQ pickle side
You will need
- 8 cups beets (about 4 lbs), peeled, halved and sliced into 1/4 inch sections
- 3 cups sliced onions or peeled pearl onions
- 2-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp Ball® Salt for Pickling & Preserving
- 1 tbsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp each: whole allspice and cloves
- 6 inch cinnamon sticks
- Combine onions, vinegar, sugar, water, mustard seed, salt, allspice, cloves, cinnamon sticks in a large stainless steel saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; boil gently 5 minutes. Add prepared beets and return to a full boil, lower heat and simmer just until beets are tender.
- Remove from heat. Discard cinnamon stick.
- Pack hot beets and onions evenly into hot jars, pour hot brine over leaving a 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim, center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Cool to room temperature, tighten band then place in refrigerator. Use within 3 months. For the best pickled taste allow to sit for 3 weeks before serving.