Preserving Method: Water-Bath-Canning
Makes about 4 (8 oz) half pints
Try out this recipe, then make it your own as you discover new twists to this favorite canning recipes.Reduced-sugar version of this great homemade jam is easy to create with the Ball® FreshTECH Automatic Jam & Jelly Maker. Just add the fresh ingredients and it does the rest in under 30 minutes. Once your jams and jellies are made you can enjoy them right away, freeze them for up to a year or use a simple water-bath canning process to fresh preserve them. For an even sweeter taste, try the Full-Sugar Recipe.
You will need
- 3 1/4 cups crushed berries (about 1 1/3 lbs or four 6-oz containers)
- 3 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit™Classic Pectin 1/2 tsp butter or margarine 2 cups granulated sugar
- CLEAN berries by rolling back and forth in an open towel. If dirt is obvious on berries, rinse carefully in cool running water and drain thoroughly. Crush berries one layer at a time using a potato masher. Measure required quantity of crushed berries and remaining ingredients for your recipe; set aside.
- SPRINKLE pectin evenly over bottom of the Pot fitted with the Stirrer. Add crushed berries evenly over pectin. Add butter/margarine to help reduce foaming.
- PRESS jam button – the cook time will automatically default to 21 minutes. Press enter.
- WAIT 4 minutes for appliance to sound 4 short beeps indicating that it is time to add sugar. Add sugar gradually while Stirrer continues running. Place the Glass Lid on the Pot.
- THE APPLIANCE will continue to automatically stir your ingredients while it cooks. Stay within earshot of the Jam & Jelly Maker, the appliance will beep again at the end of the process signaling jam cooking is complete. Press cancel, unplug the appliance and immediately remove Glass Lid.
- REMOVE Stirrer using a pot holder. Skim foam, if necessary, from top of jam.
- PRESERVE berry jam immediately.
- FILL ladle hot jam into a hot jar, leaving ¼-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Clean jar rim. Center lid on jar and adjust band to fingertip-tight. Place jar on the rack elevated over simmering water (180°F) in boiling-water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- PROCESS Lower the rack into simmering water. Water must cover jars by 1 inch. Adjust heat to medium-high, cover canner, and bring water to a rolling boil. Process jars 10 minutes. Turn off heat and remove cover. Let jars cool 5 minutes. Remove jars from canner; do not retighten bands if loose. Cool 12 hours. Check seals. Label and store jars.