Preserving Method: Water-Bath-Canning
Makes about 6 (8 oz) half-pint jars
Sweetened with crushed pineapple and spices, this sunny fall jam tastes just like carrot cake. It makes a perfect gift for any occasion.
You will need
- 1-1/2 cups finely grated peeled carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped cored peeled pears
- 1-3/4 cups canned pineapple, including juice 3 Tbsp bottled lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 6 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit Classic Pectin
- 6-1/2 cups sugar
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- Combine carrots, pears, pineapple with juice, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and whisk in pectin until dissolved. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring frequently.
- Add sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- Ladle hot carrot cake jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove lid and let jars stand for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.