Preserving Method: Water Bath Canning
Makes about 4 (8 oz) half pints
Try out this recipe, then make it your own as you discover new twists to this favorite canning recipes. Great homemade cherry jam is easy to create with the Ball® FreshTECH Automatic Jam & Jelly Maker.Just add the fresh ingredients and it does the rest in under 30 minutes. Once your jam is made you can enjoy right away, freeze for up to a year or use a simple waterbath canning process to fresh preserve. For more cherry flavor, try our Reduced-Sugar Recipe.
You will need
- 2 2/3 cups crushed sweet cherries (about 2 lbs)
- 3 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit™ Classic Pectin
- 2 Tbsp bottled lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp butter or margarine
- 3 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- Wash, stem and pit cherries. Coarsely chop cherries using kitchen scissors or chef’s knife, and then crush with a potato masher. Measure required quantity of crushed cherries and remaining ingredients for your recipe; set aside.
- Sprinkle pectin evenly over bottom of the Pot fitted with the Stirrer. Add crushed cherries evenly over pectin. Pour lemon juice over cherries. Add butter/margarine to help reduce foaming.
- Press jam button – the cook time will automatically default to 21 minutes. Press enter. WAIT 4 minutes for appliance to sound 4 short beeps indicating that it is time to add sugar. Add sugar gradually while Stirrer continues running. Place the Glass Lid on the Pot.
- The appliance will continue to automatically stir your ingredients while it cooks. Stay within earshot of the Jam & Jelly Maker, the appliance will beep again at the end of the process signaling jam cooking is complete. Press cancel, unplug the appliance and immediately remove Glass Lid.
- Remove Stirrer using a pot holder. Skim foam, if necessary, from top of jam.
- Preserve the cherry jam immediately, using 1 of the 3 ways listed here.