Preserving method: Water bath canning
Makes about 6 (16 oz) pints
Let the dill add flavor while you reduce the salt with this crispy pickle classic.
You will need
- 4 lbs pickling cucumbers (about 16 small to medium)
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 6 cups vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Ball® Mixed Pickling Spice
- Green or dry dill (1 head per jar)
- 6 Ball® (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- Optional: Ball® freshTECH Electric Water Bath Canner + Multicooker
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Wash cucumbers. Drain. Cut cucumbers into 1/4-inch thick slices, discarding ends.
- Combine sugar, salt and vinegar in a large saucepan. Tie spices in a spice bag and add to vinegar mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Keep hot until ready for use. Remove spice bag.
- Pack cucumbers into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Place one head of dill in each jar.
- Ladle hot liquid over cucumbers leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check for seal after 24 hours. Lids should not flex up and down when center is pressed.