Preserving method: Water bath canning
Makes about 6 half pint (8 oz) jars
*Note that this recipe will only perform as expected when using the Ball® freshTECH Automatic Home Canning System.
You will need
- 4-1/2 cups grape juice
- 6 tbsp Ball® brand RealFruit® Classic Pectin
- 1/2 tsp butter or margarine (optional)
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 6 Ball® brand Half Pint (8 oz) Glass Preserving Jars with Lids and Bands
- Required: Ball® freshTECH Automatic Home Canning System
Prepare your Juice (Yields about 4-1/2 cups of grape juice)
- You will need: 3-3/4 lbs. grapes and 1 cup water
- Wash grapes and remove from stem. Crush one layer at a time using a potato masher.
- Place crushed grapes in a saucepan. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain mixture through dampened jelly bag or several layers of cheesecloth to extract juice. Let juice drip, undisturbed, for 2 to 4 hours.
- Note: Squeezing jelly bag may cause jelly to be cloudy.
Pre-Heat your empty jars
- Remove Inner Pot from Appliance. Remove Rack; set aside. Fill Inner Pot with warm tap water to fill line. Return Inner Pot to Appliance. Place Rack back into Inner Pot. Place empty jars onto Rack in Inner Pot. Set preserving lids and bands aside in your work space. Close and lock Appliance Lid.
- Press Pre-Heat button, then press Start. The red Pre-Heating light will illuminate, and the Appliance will begin pre-heating your jars. In the meantime, you can start making your jelly. Jars will be pre-heated when the green Ready light is flashing. Keep jars in Appliance, with Lid closed and locked, until ready to fill with jelly.
Make your jelly
- Place juice in an 8-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in Ball® brand RealFruit® Classic Pectin. Add butter, if using. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam, if necessary, from top of jelly.
Preserver your jelly
- Unlock and open Appliance Lid.
- Remove one hot jar. Close lid, but do not lock, to keep remaining jars hot. Ladle hot jelly into hot jar, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe any jelly from the rim of the jar. Center new lid on jar. Twist on band until fingertip tight. Return filled jar onto Rack in Inner Pot.
- Repeat step 2 until all jars are filled with jelly and returned to Inner Pot. Close and lock Lid.
- Press Jams & Jellies then press Recipe 1. Press Start to begin preserving.
- The appliance will start sensing your recipe, indicated by the orange Sensing light. Then, the preserving phase will begin, indicated by the orange Preserving light. When your appliance beeps and the green Ready light is flashing, your jelly has been successfully preserved! Press Stop. Unlock and open Lid.
- Remove jars from Inner Pot using jar lifter and place upright on a towel. Allow too cool, undisturbed, for 12 to 24 hours. Refer to the After Canning section on page 21 to learn how to check lids for seals and store your jars.
- Tip: If you don’t want to make juice from fresh grapes, you can substitute the same amount of fresh juice (4-1/2 cups) with concord grape flavored juice cocktail from concentrate without sugar added. Room temperature juice works best.