Preserving Method: Water Bath Canning
Makes about 4 (8 oz) half pints
Try out this recipe, then make it your own as you discover new twists to this favorite canning recipes. Great homemade grape jelly is easy to create with the Ball® FreshTECH Automatic Jam & Jelly Maker. Just add the fresh ingredients and it does the rest in under 30 minutes. Once your jams and jellies are made you can enjoy them right away, freeze them for up to a year or use a simple water bath canning process to fresh preserve them. For more grape flavor, try our Reduced-Sugar Recipe.
You will need
- 3 cups store bought, unsweetened grape juice
- 4 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit™ Classic Pectin
- 1/2 tsp Butter or margarine
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 Ball® Half-pint (8 oz) glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- Required: Ball® freshTECH Jam + Jelly Maker
- Measure 3 cups grape juice in a 4-cup or larger liquid measuring cup. Gradually whisk pectin into juice until fully incorporated. (Pectin will not be completely dissolved at this time.) Pour juice mixture into the clean Pot fitted with the Stirrer. Add butter/margarine to help reduce foaming.
- Press jelly button – the cook time will automatically default to 25 minutes. Press enter.
- Wait 4 minutes for appliance to sound 4 short beeps indicating that it is time to add sugar. Add sugar gradually while Stirrer continues running.
- The appliance will continue to automatically stir your ingredients while it cooks. Stay within earshot of the Jam & Jelly Maker, the appliance will beep again at the end of the process signaling jelly cooking is complete. Press cancel and unplug the appliance.
- Remove Stirrer using a pot holder. Skim foam, if necessary, from top of jelly.
- Preserve the homemade grape jelly immediately, using 1 of the 3 ways listed here.