Preserving Method: Freezing
Makes about 1 9-inch tart
Combine fresh lemons with butter and egg yolks for a delicious curd you can freeze for up to one year. Use it in tarts, pies or as a luscious cake filling.
You will need
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Grated peel of one large lemon
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 5 medium)
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 Freezer Jar
- PRESS egg yolks through a sieve set over a heavy saucepan.
- STIR in sugar, lemon peel and lemon juice. Whisk just to combine.
- COOK over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Make sure to stir down the sides of the saucepan. Cook until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- ADD butter, one piece at a time, stirring after each addition to ensure the mixture is smooth.
- LADLE lemon curd into clean jars to fill line. Chill until set, about 1 hour. Twist on lids. Label.
- FREEZE up to 1 year.