Preserving Method: Water Bath Canning
Makes about 6 (8 oz) half-pint jars
Mix and match your favorite berries to create your own unique version of our Mixed Berry Jam recipe. This summer staple goes a long way. See serving suggestions below for unique ways to spice this up and serve it.
You will need
- 4 cups crushed berries, mix and match your favorites such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and/or raspberries
- 4 ½ Tbsp Ball® RealFruit™ Classic Pectin
- 3 cups sugar
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Combine berries in an 8-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam, if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into hot jars, one at a time, leaving a ¼ inch headspace. Wipe rims. Center lids on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid and let jars stand for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.
Mixed berry jam recipe tips:
- Smokey Chipotle Jam: Add a savory note to your Berry jam by adding ½ tsp. dried chipotle chili powder to the recipe with the sugar. Serve with cheese, pork, chicken or salmon or try it with roast turkey as a delicious zesty alternative to cranberry sauce.
- Sparkling Berry Pop: Fill a tall glass with ice and as spoonful or two of Mixed Berry Jam. Fill the glass with sparkling water or club soda and stir until jam dissolves. Garnish with a sprig of mint.
- Grilled Cheese & Berry Sandwiches: Spread some Mixed Berry Jam on the inside of your grilled cheese sandwich. It’s great with smoked gouda, brie or a nice sharp cheddar and add some ham or bacon!
- Berry Cream Cheese Frosting: Whisk 1/4-1/2 cup Mixed Berry Jam into your favorite pre-prepared frosting to add a fruity flavor twist!