Preserving Method: Water-Bath-Canning
Makes about 7 (8 oz) half-pint jars
Lemon shares the stage with strawberries, a summer favorite, in this sweet, pink marmalade.
You will need
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced lemon peel (about 2 large)
- 4 cups crushed strawberries (about 4 1-lb containers)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp Classic Pectin
- 6 cups sugar
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Combine lemon peel and water to cover in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 5 minutes, until peel is softened. Drain and discard liquid. Return peel to pan.
- Add strawberries and lemon juice to peel and mix well. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off foam if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.
- Quick Tip: Use lime peel and lime juice in place of lemon for a Strawberry Lime Marmalade.