Preserving Method: Water-Bath-Canning
Makes about 6 (8 oz) half pints
A refreshing addition to your fresh salads, this vinaigrette can be preserved through waterbath canning. Enjoy it on the accompanying Strawberry Romaine Salad recipe. Provided By DeeDee Grooms of Plant City, FL
You will need
- 5 quarts (25 cups) fresh whole strawberries, washed and stemmed
- 1-quart (4 cups) white distilled vinegar
- Sugar equal to strawberry vinegar per directions
- 6 Ball® Collection Elite Platinum (8 oz) Jars
- PLACE strawberries in a large stainless steel sauce-pot or plastic container.
- POUR vinegar over strawberries. Cover container tightly with plastic wrap and let stand overnight in a dark, cool place (70°F to 75°F).
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- STRAIN liquid from strawberries, collecting in a large liquid measure. Liquid should be red and clear (no pulp). Measure liquid.
- PLACE strawberry vinegar in a clean, large stainless steel saucepan. Add an equal amount of sugar, stirring to combine. Bring mixture just to a boil. Remove from heat and skim foam if necessary.
- LADLE hot vinaigrette into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Strawberry Romaine Salad Provided By DeeDee Grooms of Plant City, FL Makes about 8 servings 2 large heads romaine lettuce 1 to 2 pints (about 2-1/2 ¬ 5 cups) strawberries, hulled and sliced 1 cup grated Monterey jack cheese 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts, optional Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing (see recipe above) Note: If you don't have Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing on hand, DeeDee recommends the following recipe. 1 cup vegetable oil 3/4 cup sugar 1/2 cup red wine vinegar 2 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 tsp paprika 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp white pepper 1 Ball® Quart Glass Preserving Jar with lid and band WASH romaine lettuce and dry. Tear into pieces. Place into clear salad bowl. ADD sliced strawberries on top of romaine lettuce. Sprinkle with cheese and chopped walnuts. DRIZZLE with Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing just before serving. OR COMBINE oil, sugar, vinegar, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper in jar. Apply lid and band. Shake until thickened. Drizzle over salad just before serving.