Preserving Method: Non-Preserving
Makes about 1 pint jar
Fresh ruby red radishes, with their certain crunch and sharp flavor, make for delicious and easy refrigerator quick pickles. Recipe excerpted from The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving, published by Oxmoor House (2016).
You will need
- 1 bunch radishes (about a 1/2 pound), stem and root ends removed and cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 1/2 cup white or apple cider vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. Ball® Salt for Pickling and Preserving
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper (optional)
- Ball® glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- Place radishes in a hot 1-pint jar. Bring vinegar, next 6 ingredients, and, if desired, crushed red pepper to a boil in a small stainless steel or enameled saucepan.
- Ladle hot pickling liquid over radishes. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band, and adjust to fingertip-tight. Let cool on a wire rack ( about 1 hour). Chill 6 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator up to 4 months.