Preserving Method: Water Bath Canning
Makes about 6 half-pints (8 oz.) or 4 pints (16 oz.) of salsa
You will need
For 6 Half-Pints (8 OZ.), Use:
- 5-1/4 cups fresh tomatoes, diced, seeded, peeled, cored
- 4-1/2 green onions, sliced
- 1-1/2 jalapeño peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1-1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 tbsp minced cilantro
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Ball® brand Glass Preserving Jars with Lids and Bands
Tip: You will need about 3-3/4 lbs. (about 12 medium) tomatoes for 5-1/4 cups diced and 5 lbs (about 15 medium) tomatoes for 7 cups diced.
For 4 Pints (16 OZ.), Use:
- 7 cups fresh tomatoes, diced, seeded, peeled, cored
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 tbsp minced cilantro
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 Ball® brand Glass Preserving Jars with Lids and Bands
Tip: You will need about 3-3/4 lbs (about 12 medium) tomatoes for 5-1/4 cups diced and 5 lbs. (about 15 medium) tomatoes for 7 cups diced.
Note that this recipe will only perform as expected when using the Ball® freshTECH Automatic Home Canning System.
Pre-heat your empty jars
- Remove Inner Pot from Appliance. Remove Rack; set aside. Fill Inner Pot with warm tap water to fill line. Return Inner Pot to Appliance. Place Rack back into Inner Pot. Place empty jars onto Rack in Inner Pot. Set preserving lids and bands aside in your work space. Close and lock Appliance Lid.
- Press Pre-Heat button, then press Start. The red Pre-Heating light will illuminate, and the Appliance will begin pre-heating your jars. In the meantime, you can start making your salsa. Jars will be pre-heated when the green Ready light flashing. Keep jars in Appliance, with Lid closed and locked, until ready to fill with salsa.
Make your salsa
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Preserve your salsa
- Unlock and open Appliance Lid.
- Remove one hot jar. Close lid, but do not lock, to keep remaining jars hot. Ladle hot salsa into hot jar, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot salsa. Wipe any salsa from the rim of the jar. Center new lid on jar. Twist on band until fingertip tight. Return filled jar onto Rack in Inner Pot.
- Repeat step 2 until all jars are filled with salsa and returned to Inner Pot. Close and lock Lid.
- Press Salsas then press Recipe 2. Press Start to begin preserving.
- The appliance will start sensing your recipe, indicated by the orange Sensing light. Then, the preserving phase will begin, indicated by the orange Preserving light. When your appliance beeps and the green Ready light is flashing, your salsa has been successfully preserved! Press Stop. Unlock and open Lid.
- Remove jars from Inner Pot using jar lifter and place upright on a towel. Allow to cool, undisturbed, for 12 to 24 hours. Refer to the After Canning section on page 21 to learn how to check lids for seals and store your jars.