Bread and Butter Pickles
Preserving Method: Water-Bath-Canning
Makes about 2 (32 oz) quart jars
Summertime is all about grilling, and Ball®’s Bread and Butter Pickles are the perfect condiment. With a classic crisp taste that uses Ball® Bread & Butter Pickle Mix, this recipe is simple, but impressive! These sweet and tangy sliced bread and butter pickles are full of flavor, making this one a family favorite!
You will need
- 3 1/2 lbs pickling cucumbers (about 14 small to medium)
- 2 1/2 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup Ball® Bread & Butter Pickle Mix
- Slice ends off cucumbers then cut into 1/2-inch slices.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, and Ball® Bread & Butter Pickle Mix in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Pack based on ENJOY NOW or FRESH PRESERVE steps below.
ENJOY NOW (Refrigerate up to 3 months):
- Pour hot pickling liquid over cucumber slices in a large bowl. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Pack cucumber slices into jars. Ladle pickling liquid over cucumbers. Place lids & bands on jars.
- Refrigerate pickles. For best flavor, allow pickles to stand in refrigerator for 3 weeks.
FRESH PRESERVE (Store up to 1 year):
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use, do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.
- Pack slices into a hot jar leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Ladle hot pickling liquid over slices leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lids on jars. Apply bands and adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed. For best flavor, allow pickles to stand for 4-6 weeks.
*Increase processing time:
- 5 minutes for 1,001 to 3, 000 ft;
- 10 minutes for 3,001 to 6,000 ft;
- 15 minutes for 6,001 to 8,000 ft;
- 20 minutes for 8,001 to 10,000 ft.