Preserving Method: Water-Bath-Canning
Makes about 7 (8 oz) half- pint jars
Impress your friends with Ball®’s Tomato Bruschetta in a Jar. The fresh taste of ripe tomatoes
mixed with garlic, oregano, and basil couples perfectly with the tang of balsamic vinegar to pack a lot
of flavor in each jar. Pair these with crostini's for some fancy (but easy) finger food!
You will need
- 9 cups chopped cored plum tomatoes (1-inch pieces)
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering
water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with
- In a large, deep, stainless steel saucepan, combine garlic, wine, wine vinegar, water, sugar,
basil, oregano and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring
occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes or until garlic is heated through. Remove
- Pack tomatoes into a hot jar leaving a ½ inch
headspace. Ladle hot vinegar mixture over tomatoes, leaving a ½ inch headspace. Remove
air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place
jar in boiling water canner, making sure water covers jar by at least 1 inch. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 20 minutes, adjusting for altitude.
Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check
lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.