Preserving Method: Water-Bath-Canning
Makes about 4 (8 oz) half pint jars
This delectable, modern jam may taste like caramel and coffee, but it’s a quick-make
apple jam that is perfect for morning toast or as a tasty ice cream topping. Try Ball®’s
Caramel Apple Coffee Jam spread on hot cinnamon rolls or folded into scone batter before baking.
You will need
- 5 cups peeled, diced apples
- 2 cups extra strong brewed coffee
- 4 Tbsp Ball® Classic Pectin
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups brown sugar
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering
water until ready to use, do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with
- Bring apples and coffee to a boil in a large stainless
pot, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until apples are soft. Puree apples with an
immersion blender or in a food processor. Return to heat.
- Whisk in pectin and allspice. Over high heat bring
mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Add sugar, stirring to
dissolve. Return jam to a full rapid boil and boil hard for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove
from heat and skim foam if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into a hot jar leaving a ¼
inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to
fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are
- Process jars 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn
off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids
for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.