Cherry Vanilla Jam (Low Sugar/Alternative Sugar)
Cherry Vanilla Jam
Preserving Method: Water-Bath-Canning
Makes about 4 (8 oz) half-pint jars
Another reason to look forward to cherry season, this sweet jam recipe lets you enjoy this delicious fruit all year round.
You will need
- 4 cups finely chopped cherries, from 2lbs pitted
- 1/2 cup cherry or other fruit juice
- 1 tbsp. bottled lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract or 1 tbsp. vanilla paste
- 3 tbsp. Ball® Low/ No sugar pectin
- 1 cup alternative sugar such as Erythritol or Swerve
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use, do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.
- Place cherries, lemon juice and vanilla in a saucepan. Sprinkle pectin evenly over mixture and bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in sugar alternative. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into a hot jar leaving a ¼ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.
Image Credit: @underatinroof