Preserving Method: Water-Bath-Canning
Makes about 7 (4 oz) jars
This fruity mustard is particularly delicious with ham and turkey, start your next sandwich off
with a vibrant
You will need
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (about 1 12-oz bag)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 2-1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 7 (4 oz) glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- BRING vinegar to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat
and add mustard seeds. Cover and let stand at
room temperature until seeds have absorbed most of the moisture, about 1-1/2 hours.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water
until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm
soapy water and set bands aside.
- COMBINE mustard seeds and liquid, water and Worcestershire
sauce in a food processor or blender. Process until
slightly grainy. Add cranberries and blend until chopped.
- BRING cranberry mixture to a boil in a medium saucepan,
stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 5
minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk in sugar, dry mustard and allspice. Continue to simmer, stirring
until volume is reduced by a third, about 15 minutes.
- LADLE hot cranberry mustard into hot jars leaving 1/4-inch
headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot
lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water
Repeat until all jars are filled.
- PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting
for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids
for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.