Makes about 2 (32 oz) quart jars
Elderberries have long been used to soothe our bodies during cold and flu season. This simple
Ball® recipe is
alcohol free and ideal for the whole family*.
You will need
- 6 cups fresh or frozen cleaned elderberries or 3 cups dried
- 6 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups raw honey (local to your area is preferred)
- Combine elderberries and water in a stock pot; bring to a boil
over medium heat. Cover pot, lower heat and
simmer elderberries for one hour, or until reduced by nearly half. Remove from heat.
- Strain liquid into a large bowl through a fine mesh strainer
lined with cheesecloth, discard elderberries. Rinse
out stock pot.
- Pour elderberry water back into stock pot, add honey and bring
mixture to a simmer over low heat; stir until
- Ladle elderberry syrup into quart jars, placing lid finger-tip
tight and let cool completely. Refrigerate for up
to 6 months.
*Do not recommend giving honey to infants under 1 year old.