Preserving Method: Water Bath Canning
Makes about 8 (8 oz) half-pint jars
Enjoy the rich flavor of fig jam made with Ball® RealFruit™ Liquid Pectin. You'll get rave reviews when you serve this jam with cheese and smoked meats.
You will need
- 4 cups chopped figs (about 27 medium)
- 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 3-oz pouch Ball® Liquid Fruit Pectin
- 1/2 tsp. butter or margarine, optional
- 6 cups sugar
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Combine prepared figs with lemon juice, water, and sugar in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Add up to 1/2 tsp. butter or margarine to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring frequently.
- Add pectin, immediately squeezing entire contents from pouch. Continue hard boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into a hot jar leaving a ¼ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.