Freezer Spiced Pumpkin Butter
Preserving Method: Freezing
Makes about 6 (8 oz) half pint jars
This comforting Autumn inspired pumpkin spiced spread is equally delicious on pancakes and waffles as it is on toast and muffins. Spread it between layers of your favorite cake or use it as a healthy substitute in baking.
You will need
- 1 (3 lb) pie pumpkin or canned pumpkin cubes--about 5 (16 oz) pint jars
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1-1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- Freezer safe jars
- STIR sugar, brown sugar, instant pectin, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg in a bowl until well blended. Set aside.
- ADD apples and lemon juice to food processor or blender. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add apple puree to pectin mixture. Stir 3 minutes.
- LADLE pumpkin butter into clean jars leaving 1/2-headspace. Apply lids and bands. Let stand until thickened, about 30 minutes.
- SERVE immediately, refrigerate up to three weeks or freeze up to one year.
Image Credit: @underatinroof