Preserving Method: Water-Bath-Canning
Makes about 6 (8oz) Half Pints
Make a refreshing salsa for the summer heat with fresh green tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, and jalapeños. Unlike a traditional salsa Verde with tomatillos, Ball®’s Green Tomato Salsa Verde uses green tomatoes which are usually easier to find! This salsa is perfect with tortilla chips or with some grilled fish tacos!
You will need
- 7 cups chopped cored peeled green tomatoes (about 12 medium)
- 5 to 10 jalapeno, Habanero or Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped red onion (about 2 large)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup loosely packed finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Combine tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic and lime juice in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Ladle hot salsa into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Quick Tip: Use from 5 to 10 hot peppers to reach the level of heat you desire. When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.