Preserving Method: Water Bath Canning
Makes about 3 (32 oz) quarts
These zesty peaches add a burst of spicy fruit flavor to bran muffins. Add about 1 cup drained, coarsely chopped peaches to the batter just before baking.
You will need
- 8 lb peaches (about 24 small)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups honey
- 1-1/2 tsp whole allspice
- 3/4 tsp whole cloves
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- Ball ® brand Fruit-Fresh ® (Optional)
- 3 Ball® (32 oz) quart glass preserving jars
- Optional: Ball® freshTech Electric Water Bath Canner + Multicooker
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Wash, peel and pit peaches. Leave peaches in halves or cut into slices, if desired. Treat fruit to prevent browning.
- Combine sugar, water and honey. Cook until sugar dissolves. Add peaches in syrup one layer at a time and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pack hot peaches into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp cloves and 1 stick cinnamon to each jar.
- Ladle hot syrup over peaches leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 25 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
- To treat peaches to prevent browning, combine 2 tsp Ball® brand Fruit-Fresh with 3 tbsp of water. Toss cups of cut peaches in mixture. Make more Fruit-Fresh mixture as needed to coat all cut peaches. Or, submerge cut peaches in a mixture of 1/4 cup lemon juice and 4 cups water.
- To peel peaches, make an “X” on the bottom of peaches using a knife.Plunge in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds, or until skins start to crack.Dip into cold water and slip off skins.