Preserving Method: Water Bath Canning
Makes about 7 (8 oz) half pints
A spoonful of this delicately flavored, luscious sauce turns ordinary desserts into memorable treats. It's particularly good warmed and served with ice cream.
You will need
- 6 cups chopped pitted peeled peaches, treated to prevent browning and drained
- 2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup rum
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 7 Ball® (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- Optional: Ball® freshTECH Electric Water Bath Canner + Multicooker
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Combine peaches, brown sugar, granulated sugar, rum and lemon zest in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Ladle hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and re-measure headspace. If needed, add more sauce to meet recommended headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- rocess filled jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.