Preserving Method: Water-Bath-Canning
Makes about 6 half-pint jars
There’s nothing better than fresh, in season strawberries whether from your own
the local farmers market or grocery store. Preserve the incredible sweet
flavor by making Strawberry Kiwi Jam,
a delicious topping for toast year round.
You will need
- 3 cups crushed strawberries (about 2 pounds)
- 3 kiwi, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp minced crystallized ginger
- 6 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit™ Classic Pectin
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 5 cups sugar
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use, do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands
- Wash strawberries under cold running water; drain. Remove stems and caps from strawberries. Crush strawberries one layer at a time using a potato masher. Measure 3 cups crushed strawberries. Peel kiwi and dice.
- Combine strawberries, kiwi, ginger, pectin and lemon juice in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to blend in pectin. Add sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to a rolling point that cannot be stirred down. Boil hard for 1 minute. Stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off foam if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into a hot jar, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Clean jar rim. Center lid on jar and adjust band to fingertip-tight. Place jar on the rack elevated over simmering water. (180° F) in boiling-water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Lower the rack into simmering water. Water must cover jars by 1 inch. Adjust heat to medium-high, cover canner and bring water to a rolling boil. Process half-pint jars 10 minutes. Turn off heat and remove cover. Let jars cool 5 minutes. Remove jars from canner; do not retighten bands in loose. Cool 12 hours. Check seals. Label and store jars.