Selecting the right Ball® jar for the job is an important part of the canning process. Just like there are distinct knives for carving different foods, there are also varied canning jars for preserving different types of foods. So how do you know which jar is right for each recipe?
Ball® offers a variety of jars designed specifically for the needs of home preservers. Certain jars, like those with straight or tapered sides, are ideal for freezing as well as for canning. Certain jars, like those with shouldered sides, are ideal for shelf storage.
While jar shape can help you choose storage method, the jar mouth size can depend on a variety of factors. Regular Mouth work best with pourable foods such as jams, jellies, salsas, sauces, pie fillings, and vegetables. Wide Mouth allows for easier filling and works best with whole fruits and vegetables.
It’s best practice to refer to the recipe when it comes to selecting the perfect size jar for your application. Use the Jar Guide below to help you select the mouth opening and jar shape that fit your needs. If you choose to process the recipe in a jar smaller than a quart but larger than a pint, follow the processing time given for quarts. If your jar selection is smaller than a pint, follow the processing time given for pints. Jams, jellies and other soft spreads canned in Quilted Crystal 4 oz, 8 oz, and 12 oz Jars use the same processing time as stated for an 8 oz jar.
- 4 oz. Jars (Freezer Safe) - Ideal for Jams, Jellies, Mustards, Ketchup, Dipping Sauces, Flavored Vinegars, Small Portion Sizes
- 8 oz. Jars (Freezer Safe) - Ideal for Jams, Jellies, Conserves, Preserves, Fruit Syrups, Chutneys, Pizza Sauce
- 12 oz. Jars (Freezer Safe) - Ideal for Jams, Jellies, Marmalades
- 16 oz. Jars - Ideal for Salsas, Sauces, Relishes, Pie Fillings
- 32 oz. Jars - Ideal for Fruit & Vegetable Slices, Pickles, Tomato based Juices & Sauces
- 16 oz. Jars (Freezer Safe) - Ideal for Salsas, Sauces, Relishes, Fruit Butters
- 24 oz. Jars (Freezer Safe) - Ideal for Asparagus, Pickles, Sauces, Soups, Stews
- 32 oz. Jars - Ideal for Pickles, Tomatoes, Whole or Halved Fruits & Vegetables
- 64 oz. Jars - Ideal for Apple Juices & Grape Juices
**When filling freezer safe jars, leave ½-inch headspace to allow for the expansion of food during freezing.