Cranberry Pear Pie Filling
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
This wonderful and seasonal pie filling makes for a great Thanksgiving dessert. Serve it warmed over ice cream or for a creative variation on traditional pie, try our Cranberry Pear Linzer Tart recipe!
Recipe excerpted from The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving, published by Oxmoor House (2016).
You Will Need
You Will Need
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup bottled lemon juice, divided
- 8 cups (4 lbs) thinly sliced cored peeled pears
- 4 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen thawed
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- COMBINE water and 1/4 cup (60 mL) lemon juice in a large bowl. Submerge pear slices in lemon water; drain.
- COMBINE fruit slices, cranberries, remaining 1/2 cup lemon juice, sugar and spices in a 6-quart stainless steel or enameled Dutch oven. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cover and cook 10 minutes or until fruit releases its juices, stirring occasionally.
- LADLE hot fruit mixture into a hot jar, leaving 1-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band, and adjust to fingertip-tight. Place jar in boiling-water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- PROCESS jars 30 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove lid, and let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool.