Evolution of Canning

1880

Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing Company founded.

1885

Zinc caps made for glass jars. 

1887

Ball® brand relocates to Muncie, IN.

1894

Ball® Company begins shipping wooden boxes to grocery stores.

1898

Aluminum caps and glass wire-bale made for jars.

1909

First Ball® Blue Book of Home Canning printed.

1914

Ball® brand begins making rubber-sealing rings for jars. 

1915

Kerr brand creates the first two-piece metal lid system with an attached rubber seal. 

1930

Ball® brand introduces two-piece closures made of zinc and glass

1934

Ball® brand switches to two-piece closures made of tinplate. 

1968

Ball® brand develops plastisol sealant and discontinues using red rubber latex. 

1970

Ball® completes canning lid plant in Muncie, IN. 

1996

Ball® brand acquires Kerr brand, transfers manufacturing to Indiana.

2010

Responding to consumers requests, Ball® brand begins researching and testing BPA-free lids. 

2012

Ball® and Kerr® brands become BPA free.

2014

Ball® introduces the "Design Series" of colored, metallic lids safe for home canning.