Preserving Method: Water-Bath-Canning
Makes about 4 (16 oz) pint jars
Give your salsa a taste of the south this summer with peaches, brown sugar, and habanero pepper! Follow Ball®’s Fire Roasted Tomato Peach Salsa recipe and grill your peaches, tomatoes, peppers, and onions for some savory charred flavor. Give the gift of summer all year long and gift a jar to a friend!
You will need
- 2 lbs firm-ripe peaches (6 peaches), halved and pitted, 2 cups prepared
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes, stem removed, halved, 6 large, 2 cups prepared
- 1 small red onion, peeled and halved
- 1 small red or yellow pepper, halved and seeded
- 2 Tbsp minced habanero, serrano or jalapeno
- 3/4 cup bottled lime juice
- 4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- Pre-heat grill to medium (or broiler to high).
- Place peaches, tomatoes, red pepper and onion halves skin side down on a grill pan and cook over medium flame until slightly charred, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. (If using a broiler, place fruits and vegetables on a baking sheet skin side up and broil until charred.)
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use, do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.
- Dice peaches and tomatoes, leaving charred skin on. Dice red onion halves and red pepper. Combine everything up to the cilantro in a 4 quart saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Simmer until peaches have softened slightly and flavors have combined, about 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
- Ladle hot salsa into a hot jar leaving a ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 20 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.