Homemade Strawberry Jam
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
Jar up the freshness of summer with Ball®’s Homemade Strawberry Jam. This timeless treat is delicious as a spread on a freshly baked biscuit, paired with peanut butter, or spooned into some yogurt! You can even spread some of your jam into a grilled cheese for a sweet surprise for the kids!
You Will Need
You Will Need
- 5 cups crushed strawberries (about 3 lbs.)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp. Ball® RealFruit™ Classic Pectin
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Combine strawberries and lemon juice in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that can not be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Add half a vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise, to the crushed strawberries. Cook as directed and remove vanilla bean before ladling jam into jars. The resulting jam will be enhanced with subtle yet distinct vanilla overtones.Strawberry Balsamic Jam:
Reduce the lemon juice to 1 tbsp. and add 3 tbsp. good-quality balsamic vinegar. Balsamic vinegar accents the strawberry flavor and gives the jam a robust taste.Lemony Strawberry Jam:
Add the grated zest of 1 large lemon to the crushed strawberries.Peppered Strawberry Jam:
Stir 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper into the cooked jam just before ladling it into the jars. Pepper accents and compliments strawberries' sweet flavor. Be sure to use freshly ground pepper, which delivers a fresher-quality flavor.