Mixed Spring Pickle
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Share your creation with others, because the best part of making is sharing
Here is an exapmle of a thumbnail that will be displayed on our page if your photo is chosen.
Asparagus, radishes and sugar snap peas are some of Spring's most glorious vegetables, why not pickle them all together? Adjusting the spiciness of the flavorful brine per-jar makes this a versatile pickle to have on hand.
You Will Need
You Will Need
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4 tbsp. Ball Salt for Pickling and Preserving
- 1/8 cup sugar or honey
- 20 spears thick asparagus, trimmed to 6 inch lengths (or to fit jars with 3/4 inch headspace)
- 8 green onions, trimmed to 5 inch length and halved lengthwise
- 8 radishes, halved
- 1 small bulb fennel, outer sections removed, halved, cored and sliced into 1/2 i ch thick sections
- 1/2 lb sugar snap peas, any tough strings removed
- 4 stalks celery, trimmed, halved lengthwise, cut into 5 inch lengths (4 per jar)
- 12 chive flowers, if available
- 1 small red onion, peeled and quartered (or cut in 6 if using pint jars)
Per jar : (if using pint jars lower quantity of each spice by a 1/4 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. mustard seed
- 1 tsp. Black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. chili flakes (or less, to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp. dill seeds
- 4 (6) cloves garlic, lightly smashed
- BRING first 4 ingredients to a boil in a large stainless steel or enameled saucepan over medium heat.
- PLACE 1 tsp. peppercorns, 1 tsp. mustard seeds, 1 tsp. chili flakes, 1/2 tsp. coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp. dill seeds and one clove smashed garlic in a hot jar.
- PACK prepared vegetables in hot jar evenly, leaving 1⁄2-inch headspace. Ladle hot pickling liquid over vegetables, adjusting vegetables to leave a 1⁄2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band, and adjust to fingertip-tight. Place jar in boiling-water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- PROCESS jars 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove lid, and let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.